Wednesday 14 November 2012

I am the Indian girl.

So it was the time of the year where my family and I celebrated the festival of lights.The last I wore a Lengga during Diwali was when I was a kid (about 7 or 8).I would usually wear a top and a my one and only pair of jeans.This year,however was completely different for me.The night before Diwali,I told my mum I wanted to buy a Lengga.The Lengga is the short top (usually Lenggas have sequins and designs) and along skirt.\

I never liked wearing Punjabi Suits either.Punjabi Suits are more commonly used than Lengga because it's easier to walk.

Insert are pictures of Lengga.




The Lengga that I wore to my grandma's house was a pink one.When I entered the flats,my aunties and uncles were surprised.

"Wah,so pretty la you Savitha (my Tamil name)!,"my aunt exclaimed.My uncles and cousins were equally surprised.And then when I looked around I realised that I was the ONLY one that wore a traditional Indian costume.

Well,I'm back home now and I thought about the Lengga.I realised that traditional Indian costumes are so richly designed (sequins and the embroidery) .These are all my traditional costume.It depicts who I am.I am an Indian and I am proud of it.I am proud of the Tamil language (though I am not fluent at all).But I am learning.Indeed each race has its own identity and it's up to you to unleash the beauty of it!

A pic of me wearing my lengga next to my cousin bro.







No comments:

Post a Comment