Friday 14 February 2014

Baking!

If I could tell you about this week,I would say it in a word.Baking!

Yes,believe me.Pictures will be posted soon but how it all happened,well blame it on the book!Jodi Picoult has been one of my favourite author ever since I read her book,it was a Christmas present a long time ago.So during this holidays,I read the book again.There is something familiar in her books that I've read.Not that I've read all her books,only 2 but here is the thing that is very obvious in her storyline.

The way she describes a baker and her pastries.There was also many recipes that were in the novel too.Mostly recipes that would need a lot of handwork such as kneading,and folding.Then there would be a lot of descriptions on the way the baker bakes,and how the baker is so passionate about baking.

Let me write down an excerpt from her book 'The Storyteller'.

Baking,for me,is a form of meditation.I get pleasure out of slicing up the voluminious mass of dough,eyeballing it to just the right amount of killos on a scale for a perfect artisan loaf.I love how the snake of a baguette quivers beneath my palm as I roll it out.I love the sigh that a risen loaf makes when I first punch it down.

Though I don't know what an artisan loaf is.I just simply love the way she writes about all these pastries.

So I decided to venture in the kitchen and start with cakes.Reason being,cakes are easier to bake as compared to pastries(where the dough has to made,and it ain't easy).So I got the recipes from an online website and started baking.In this week,I baked 4 cakes already.

I baked a chocolate cake,butter cake,carrot cake with creamy cheese frosting and today I made a banana cake with chocolate frosting.It was good,according to my mum.All cakes were rated 8-9 out of a scale of 10.There are still some ingredients in the kitchen.So I am still deciding whether I should bake a lemon cake or not.

Today I went to Tesco,the nearest supermarket to get sour cream for the banana cake.I stopped for a while in the confectionery to buy a Danish chicken pizza.The best part was actually the pastry.It had the crunchy feeling and it was moist.It was good.So I asked the lady at the counter an she said that all the pastries were made in the kitchen.I could only peep through the slightly opened door to see trays.

Next holidays,I hope I can make the pastries that are for selling just like the ones in King's Confectionery.That would be one of my goals for the coming semester break holidays.


No comments:

Post a Comment